Embracing sustainability as a hotel operator is not only beneficial for the environment but also for your business. By taking steps towards sustainability, you can attract eco-conscious guests, reduce operational costs, and contribute to a greener future. The first crucial step on this journey is to engage your team. In this blog post, we will explore the importance of creating a Green Team and how it can lead you towards a successful sustainability action plan.
Step 1 – Engage Your Team: Your Green Team will play a pivotal role in driving sustainability initiatives within your hotel. Comprising enthusiastic individuals from different departments, this team will be responsible for creating and executing your sustainability action plan. Here’s how you can engage your team effectively:
- Assemble a Green Team: Bring together representatives from each department or operational area who are passionate about sustainability. This diverse team will provide a variety of perspectives and expertise.
- Assign roles and responsibilities: Clearly define the roles and responsibilities of each Green Team member. This will ensure accountability and smooth coordination throughout the sustainability journey.
- Schedule regular meetings: Establish a consistent meeting schedule for the Green Team, whether it’s weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly. Regular meetings will allow for progress updates, task delegation, and collaborative brainstorming.
Toolkit Resource: To assist you in creating your Green Team, refer to the Create Your Green Team checklist in the BCHA Sustainability Playbook. This checklist provides best practices and guidance for forming an effective team.
Benefits of Having a Green Team: Apart from driving your sustainability action plan, a Green Team offers several additional benefits for your hotel:
- Attracting top talent: According to a Conference Board of Canada survey, a majority of Canadians prioritize working for employers committed to improving their company’s sustainability performance. By having a Green Team, you demonstrate your dedication to sustainability and attract environmentally conscious individuals.
- Boosting employee engagement and morale: Green Team members typically have a personal connection to social and environmental sustainability. By harnessing their passion and empowering them to make a difference, you can enhance employee engagement and morale. This, in turn, can reduce turnover and create a positive work environment.
- Realizing ROI: Green Teams can help save your hotel money. They actively seek out opportunities to improve efficiencies, participate in community initiatives, and reduce energy consumption. These efforts often result in significant cost savings and provide a return on investment for your sustainability initiatives.
Pro Tip: Once your Green Team has developed an action plan, integrate sustainability into regular management and team meetings. By sharing updates, delegating tasks, and tracking progress, sustainability becomes ingrained in your hotel’s culture, similar to health and safety practices.
Engaging your team through the formation of a Green Team is the crucial first step in starting your sustainability journey as a hotel operator. By bringing together passionate individuals from various departments, you can create and execute a comprehensive sustainability action plan. The Green Team will not only drive positive change within your hotel but also attract top talent, boost employee morale, and generate cost savings. Begin your sustainability journey today and explore the BCHA Sustainability Playbook for step-by-step guidance on the next stages of your transformative path.
THE BCHA SUSTAINBILITY PLAYBOOK!
To explore the BCHA Sustainability Playbook and access step-by-step guidance for your sustainability journey, visit the resource section in the BCHA Member Portal. Start engaging your team, and together, let’s create a greener and more sustainable future for your hotel.